Wednesday, May 4, 2016

IWSG: Spellbinding Sentences




It's the first Wednesday of the month and time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group post. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh and his minions for all the work they do for this worthy cause! If you want to join, GO HERE.

So...last year was a year of stepping back and reflecting on my writing career and how best to organize and structure the whole thing. I experimented with different types of outlines, from James Patterson's Masterclass to the 7-point structure to Save the Cat!

Apparently this is another year of stepping back. I have three outlines ready to go and one WiP. So, what did I do? I bought another book on writing. Yeah, because I really needed another one. NOT!

In school, I really sucked at English as far as learning all the parts of speech. Boring! But when I skimmed through Spellbinding Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Achieving Excellence & Captivating Readers by Barbara Baig, it looked like something I could use to improve my writing. She breaks everything down so that it's relatable, not just another English lesson, but strengthens your writing. Basically how to go from the mental image in the mind of the writer--to the verbal image made of words--to the mental image in the mind of the reader. Because, simply put, that's what all us writers are trying to do:

To choose the right words to create a particular image
in the minds of our readers so they can see the story being told

Well, I have high hopes that this will help me to improve.

What do you think?

Is this just another procrastination technique?
Or a true desire to be the best writer I can be?

(P.S., I now know four kinds of verbs, y'all! LOL!)
(P.S.S. Be sure to check out the giveaway by Chrys Fey in the post below!)

30 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are making progress. 3 outlines and a WIP is not bad. And books on the craft of writing can always help improve our writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I'm getting stuff done, but it doesn't feel like it. Did that make sense? LOL!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this book, but I love books on writing. Have you ever read Stephen King's On Writing. That one has long been my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one yet but I've heard it's highly recommended. That's it, I'm going to get it! My very last writing book... 0_o

      Delete
  3. Understanding English will make you writer better, so I don't think it's procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what it is I'm going through, but at least the extra study time can't hurt!

      Delete
  4. I think a great author is constantly learning and trying to improve their art. Keep at it, and see if you can do both concurrently--studying and writing. I find that makes for the best results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in my spare time *read sarcasm*. But you're right, I do need to find time for both. I'm gonna do it, Crystal!

      Delete
    2. LOL. I used to dedicate 10 minutes a day to studying an industry related book while using the elliptical. It wasn't much, but it added up.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to look for this book. Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm halfway through it, Chrys and outlining the important tips as I go. Cuz apparently, I even have to outline what I read 0_o

      Delete
  6. English wasn't my strong suit either. If I keep writing, I probably need to read more books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems like I know all the rules, yet I know there's room for improvement. I know I can do better!

      Delete
  7. I guess I'm the on the other side of that fence re: English, so I'll just say what I used to tell my classes. Know the rules, then learn how to break them so the words paint the pictures the way you want them to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely break the rules, LOL. I like adjectives. A lot! I like how they sound and how they sound all cozy and stuff. I know, I know, kill the adjectives!

      Delete
    2. Nope. I love adjectives, too. I just don't like the "flaming sword" use of them. Spare, but effective. But that just my motto. Everyone has to develop the style that suits. Stick to your guns or your adjectives.

      Delete
  8. If you learn something then I say it was worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learning stuff, but can I implement it? 0_o

      Delete
  9. Any time you're working on improving the craft is productive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on improving and enjoying it, now I just need to implement 0_o

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a great book. Heading to Amazon to get it now. Thanks for sharing, Gwen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you like it, Julie. It's really making sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, you intrigued me. I will join you in that venture of procrastinating. Off to find a copy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gwen, visuals are so important. Sometimes I'll Google a phrase and find it rewritten in just the perfect format and use that.

    May 2016 IWSG Co-Host
    May the 4th Be With You
    Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing learned is ever wasted. English was my second language so I struggled a lot through English classes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha! I think you'll be an even more kick-butt writer after all this for sure! The book sounds great . . . may check it out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like a really good book. And I also struggle with learning that stuff. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well... I believe that reading books on the craft helps, but actually writing helps more.

    A lot of people spend so much time reading about writing that they don't actually write. That's when it becomes just another procrastination technique.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like a great book, and taking the time to learning your craft is never a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If it inspires you to read these books, why not? The only writing book that I do return to, over and over, is On Writing by Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You left a comment! I love comments.